Health Benefits of Kitchari
Kitchari is a complete one-pot meal. It’s packed full of protein in the dal, vitamins, minerals and fibre in the veggies, and energy in the rice. The perfect meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner, you can be guaranteed the whole family will love it! Plus it’s a light, easy-to-digest meal for anyone with digestive complaints. The ghee will work to ignite your digestion; the spices will help to digest the dal and rice; and the dal, rice and vegies will be the perfect nourishment for your body.
- 1/2 Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal
- Chopped vegies (pumpkin and zucchini) – 1/3 cup (change the veggies up for variety and depending on your dosha)
- 2½ glasses Water
- 1/2 chopped Onion
- 1/2 grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain seeds
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp Ghee *
* Safflower or rice bran (vegan option)
1. Soak rice and moong dal together at least 2 hours before cooking.
2. Heat ghee in a pot on medium heat.
3. Add cumin seeds. When seeds become dark brownish add ajwain seeds and onions and ginger.
4. Cook them until light brown then add the soaked rice and moong dal and cook for another two minutes.
5. Add water, salt, turmeric, and vegies and let it cook until the dal, rice and vegies are thoroughly cooked.
6. Serve hot with fresh coriander.